Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Melting in robes...

Ok, so as one of the Union sabbs i have to attend a fifth of the graduation ceremonies as part of the podium procession. This involves; Wearing special union robes, with a crest and everything - very nice. A silly tudor bonnet - less nice, but i can go with it... Walking in to organ music trying to look as serene/important/holy as possible. I go with the clasping hands together over my belly walking posture... I was walking in next to Simon, the chaplain, during a couple of ceremonies and we thought it may be a giggle to walk in like monks in prayer - you know, prayer-hands up in front of the chest - but we opted against it... would have been good craic though!

So anyway, the theatres where the ceremonies take place may be more accurately described as tandoori ovens. Particularly pleasant for us on the podium as we have the added pleasure of stage lights on us! I'm not a big one for sweat patches normally, but I decided go with the flow (so to speak) and see how damp I could make my shirt in the 1-hour ceremony. By the way, this was after several liberal douses of anti-perspirant. I didn't do badly, my sweat patches *nearly* reached my beltline, but i was beaten hands down by some of the real bigwigs - the chancellor, vice-chancellor etc who have the privalege of the front row - including leather chairs! so sweat patch prize i think goes to the chancellor this year, who acheived complete shirt-saturation in a single hour. Bravo!

With my own ceremony coming up on Thursday (and another two before that, tomorrow) I'm getting fairly familiar with the chancellor's speech too... I think i'll be able to lip-sync with his joke by the time it gets to my own graduation! :-)

I've temporarliy gone against my environmental beliefs and used my office aircon unit to create my own personal fridge... those of you who have more environmental integrity than I, dont fret - it's only for this week! or maybe for this heatwave... i kinda like it :-S

I reckon that's enough for now... incredibly long blog entries are fairly off-putting, don't you think? Having said that, so (potentially) are stories of sweat-patch competitions...

C

4 Comments:

At 12:07 am, Blogger Claire said...

hehe, how else do you think she found me? she seems a dudette so i hope its not too weird if i natter to her?

hope your doing ok. pleas pray, am looking for someone to carry and run the sunday night things. I feel i am purely meant to be the spark and cal people to hunger, its not right for me to run it or carry it. please join with me and let me know if you think of anyone, i have a few in mind.
Bless ya

x

 
At 9:02 pm, Blogger Yellow said...

After years of wearing clerical robes I have perfected the art of not sweating buckets...

So I think I win the non-sweat patch competition.

However I am actually going to burn my robes after the final graduation.

 
At 5:20 pm, Blogger annaswaiting said...

sweat-patches... yeah, kind of a putter-offer. but i understand, we've had a few not nice heat-waves here as well. i don't have an AC, but if i did, it would be to heck with the environmentalists. sweat is not fun, no matter what form its in. (and we all want to be missionaries to africa or ibiza someday?)

don't worry, i told claire i wouldn't corrupt her or anything. hey, she's just one more reason for me to come and visit someday. wink wink, nod nod. miss you mate. write me sometime... properly! love, S

 
At 7:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

 

Post a Comment

<< Home